Written on 8:49:00 AM by S. Potter
Below are the reasons why Merb is more delicious than other MVC web frameworks I have worked with (including Rails):
- On a diet...It is lighter weight than most, but still has enough oomph to implement common features with minimal code
- The sum of it's parts...OK that was a lame segway, but parts is a mightily useful feature where a plugin is just total overkill. Just because Java calls something a "component" does not make it the general definition of a component in concept. And now look at the Rails plugin debacle today.
- Precious gems...Plugins are created, distributed and installed in the form of beautiful RubyGems as opposed to the Rails plugin catastrophe with Gigabytes of duplicate disk space and lame version/revision control
- It's exceptional...Merb actually thought about how to do exception handling in controllers before Rails came up with something and also came up with IMHO a better solution.
- Speedy Gonzalez...Compared to especially Rails, Merb performs very nicely indeed.
- Loose threads...Merb is thread-safe unlike Rails, so that means one process can handle multiple concurrent file uploads, where Rails cannot right now.